Grading Policy

Students who elect to become degree candidates in the Master of Arts in the Humanities Program will be evaluated according to the California State University, Dominguez Hills grading system.

All courses used to fulfill the requirements for the Master's Degree must be passed with a grade of "C" or better. Any course in the graduate program may be repeated and the two grades averaged when computing the grade point average. However, any course in which a grade lower than a "C" is earned must be repeated for a grade of "C" or better and the two grades averaged. Graduate students, unlike undergraduates, may not repeat a course and cancel the lowest grade.

An overall grade point average of 3.0 ("B") or better is required in the courses taken to satisfy the Masters Degree requirements. Students whose cumulative grade point average (GPA) falls below 3.0 in any given trimester will be placed on academic probation and will be expected to show improvement in the next trimester so that the GPA will equal or exceed 3.0. Since a 3.0 average GPA is a requirement at the graduate level, a grade of "C" indicates less than satisfactory work. Courses receiving grades of less than "C" must be repeated for a higher grade. Continuation of a GPA below 3.0 for several trimesters may result in removal from the program.

Grade Points
Marginally acceptable
Must be Repeated
Must be Repeated
Must be Repeated
Must be Repeated
Incomplete (not counted in GPA)
Withdrawal (not counted in GPA)
Unauthorized Incomplete (Equiv. to "F")

Additional grades, to be used in approved courses only:

CR - Credit (not counted in grade point average, but units allowed)
NC - No Credit (not counted in grade point average, no units allowed)
SP - Satisfactory Progress (credit is deferred until completion of course work)

Incomplete/Unauthorized Incomplete Grades
A grade of "I" (Incomplete) may be assigned if the student is unable, for an unforeseen reason, to complete a definable portion of the course work. For each incomplete grade assigned, the instructor will sign a form on which will be indicated: the reason for granting the incomplete, the amount of work to be completed, the date by which the student must make up the work - a date as early as possible, but in any case within one calendar year. The grade will be automatically recorded as "F" if the work is not completed by the end of one academic year. To allow sufficient time for evaluating student's work and processing a change of grade, work should reach the instructor at least three weeks before the deadline date shown on the Incomplete form.

Students who have been granted "I" grades and are unable to complete the course work within the allotted time period must request an Extension of Incomplete from the instructor; this will extend the time period by one full academic year. Extensions of Incomplete may only be granted once, i.e. no student will be given more than a two-year period to complete the course work. Incomplete forms are available from the Humanities External Degree Office upon request.

Please note: the granting of an Incomplete grade does not place a student in continuous attendance, i.e. if a student stays out of the program to finish coursework, that does not mean that the student is enrolled in subsequent terms up until the time of completion of that original coursework.

It is difficult for an instructor to assign Incomplete grades if no course work has been received from the student. Instructors are required to assign "WU" (Unauthorized Incomplete) grades to students for whom no course work and no correspondence concerning such was received during the course of the trimester. A "WU" grade is the grade point equivalent of an "F" grade, and, like an "F," the original "WU" grade cannot be removed from the student record. Subsequently, the course must be repeated in order for the student to receive credit for the course.

All External Degree students with two or more "I" or "WU" grades on their records will not be permitted to enroll for more than one course per trimester, until the "I" and "WU" grades have been satisfied by either completion of the course work (for removal of the "I" grade), or the repetition of the course (for substitution of the "WU" grade). Students who have completed the necessary work to receive a final letter grade should make sure to contact the course instructor to insure that he or she will submit the final grade to the Humanities External Degree Office as soon as possible.

Withdrawal Procedures
Official withdrawal is necessary if a student leaves the program during the term, and does not intend to complete the trimester. A student who does not officially withdraw from the trimester course(s) will automatically receive "F," "WU," or "NC" grades for the course(s) on his or her study list. The time of withdrawal is determined by the date by which the Humanities External Degree Office receives notification. If the student leaves a course within the first three weeks of the trimester, it is considered a "Drop," and the course will not appear on the student's academic record. If the student leaves after the third week of the trimester, it is considered a "Withdrawal," and the courses will appear on the academic records, but will not count in the calculation of the grade point average.

If a student wishes to officially withdraw from the University, a Complete Withdrawal from the University form must be requested, completed and returned to the Humanities External Degree Office. If the student wishes to reenter the program in the following trimester, he or she will be considered a continuing student for registration purposes (unless he or she attends another institution during the absence from CSUDH).

At the heart of any university are its efforts to encourage critical reading skills, effective communication and, above all, intellectual honesty among its students. Thus, all academic work submitted by a student as his or her own should be in his or her own unique style, words and form. When a student submits work that purports to be his or her own original work, but actually is not, the student has committed plagiarism.

Plagiarism is considered a gross violation of the University's academic and disciplinary standards. Plagiarism includes the following: copying of one person's work by another and claiming it as his or her own, false presentation of one's self as the author or creator of a work, falsely taking credit for another person's unique method of treatment or expression, falsely representing one's self as the source of ideas or expression, or the presentation of someone else's language, ideas or works without giving that person due credit. It is not limited to written works. For example, one can plagiarize music compositions, photographs, works of art, choreography, computer programs or any other unique creative effort.

Plagiarism is cause for formal university discipline and is justification for an instructor to assign a lower grade or a failing grade in the course in which the plagiarism is committed. In addition, the University may impose its own disciplinary measures.