Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

Finding the Right Program

About the HUX Program

Admission to the Program

Registering and Taking Courses

What Rights Do I Have? What if I Have a Complaint?

The GWE Requirement

Paying for Courses

Finishing the Program

How will my diploma and transcripts read?



California State University, Dominguez Hills is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, which is the western member of a nationwide network of educational accrediting bodies. Credits earned at California State University are transferable to other institutions.

By mandate of the California State University, all external degree programs operating under its sanction must be continuously evaluated to ensure academic quality and program viability. Hence, students will occasionally be asked to complete surveys and respond to questionnaires which relate to the evaluation

Finding the Right Program

What if I want to participate in an M.A. program that's NOT in the Humanities? What if I want a Bachelor's degree?
The College of Extended and International Education at CSUDH offers several Master's and Bachelor's degrees via distance learning. Please check out our other degrees at

Do I have to have a Bachelor's degree to start your program?
Yes, you must have an accredited Bachelor's degree in order to be admitted to our program.

Is there a difference in resident vs. non-resident tuition fees?
The tuition rate is the same for all HUX students, no matter where you live.

Is HUX an online degree program?
While HUX offers many support services online, and does offer online sections of some courses, it is essentially an independent study, correspondence-based program.

Do you accept credit cards?
We accept VISA, Discover and MasterCard for registration (course fees) payments only; all other fees (i.e., application fee, graduation fee) must be paid via check or money order, drawn on U.S. banks. Sorry, we do not accept American Express cards. Our bookstore does accept VISA, MasterCard, and American Express for payment of book orders.

Credit and Debit Card Payment Non-Refundable Convenience Fee in effect April 2, 2015
Starting on April 2, 2015 a 2.75% non-refundable convenience fee will be charged to all credit and debit card payments. This fee goes directly to the third party processor TouchNet® PayPathTM to cover fees charged by the card companies. Debit cards are processed as credit cards and are subject to the 2.75% non-refundable convenience fee.

How many books do I have to buy? How much will books cost?
The average course requires three to five books, at an average cost of $50 per course.

Can I get a refund for withdrawals?
The effective date for refund of fees will be determined by the postmarked date on which the Humanities External Degree Office receives written notification. Refunds appear in the form of a check from the State of California; credit card charges cannot be credited to credit card accounts. The total processing time for a refund normally takes 6-8 weeks. Refunds are granted in accordance with the State refund schedule.

About the HUX Program

The Program DOES Cover:
Literature (including Creative Writing)
Philosophy & Religion
Music (including some limited Composition)
Art/Art History (including some limited Studio Art). This includes film (limited; including Screen-Writing)
The Program DOES NOT Cover:
Education/Teacher Education
Teaching Credentials
Negotiation, Conflict Resolution and Peacebuilding
Nursing (bachelors)
Nursing (masters)
Business Administration
Library Science
Math or Science
Human Services
Human Resources
Public Administration
Quality Assurance(bachelors)
Quality Assurance(masters)

Do I have to be a resident to participate? Do I have to come on-campus to take classes?
If you are eligible for admission into the program, you can take classes from anywhere around the world as long as you have access to regular mail service. We have students on virtually every continent.

How long has this program been in existence?
The Humanities Master of Arts Degree Program (HUX) was formed in 1974 by Humanities faculty of California State University, Dominguez Hills. Today the graduate program continues to grow and serves students throughout the world.

How many students are currently in the program?
Our program averages about 200 students per trimester, with over 2500 alumni worldwide.

What can I do with this degree? Why do people take this degree?
Students take the Humanities Master of Arts degree for many reasons. Student most frequently take the HUX program who:

  • want to teach at the community college-level (*Consult the school district where you want to teach to find out if there are specific requirements regarding the Master's degree.)
  • plan to go on to a doctoral program
  • need a graduate degree for job advancement/salary increase
  • want to earn a graduate degree under military support
  • wish to take courses for personal enhancement and enjoyment

What are the Graduation Requirements?

  1. A minimum of 30 semester units, completing either Curriculum A or Curriculum B.
  2. At least 21 semester units completed in HUX. A maximum of 9 semester units of applicable graduate work may be transferred into the program (requires Coordinator approval). A combination of quarter and semester units may be used to satisfy the total unit requirement (1-1/2 quarter units equals 1 semester unit).
  3. An overall grade point average of 3.0 or better (see Grading).
  4. Passing grade on the Master of Arts in Humanities - Advancement to Candidacy Examination, which is taken after 16 semester units in the program have been completed (see details on Advancement to Candidacy).
  5. All degree requirements must be met within a five-year period. Course work must be completed while the student is in continuous attendance (see details on Continuous Attendance).
  6. Successfully complete the Graduate Writing Examination (GWE) with a score of 8 or better. More about Graduation Requirements...

Admission to the Program

What materials are needed for Admission to the Program?
The materials required for admission are:

In general, how much weight in the admission process is given to the application Essay?
The Essay is used to provide us with a sample of the student's writing skills. Although nearly all students with the requisite 3.0 GPA or above are accepted, the Essay is another factor in the admission which can sway a student with a below-3.0/above 2.5 GPA into possible provisional admittance. More about the

What if my GPA is too low for admission?
With approval of the Program Coordinator, a student with a GPA between 2.5 and 3.0 may enter the program on a provisional (probationary) basis. We recommend that students with GPAs below 2.5 take additional courses (undergraduate upper division courses or above only) in order to bring up the GPA and then re-apply to the program. More about
Admission Requirements...

What Rights Do I Have? What if I Have a Complaint?
You have a number of rights as a student of California State University, Dominguez Hills.The links below will take you to the appropriate CSUDH webpage. Before you begin a formal appeal, grievance, or petition process, please attempt to resolve the issue with your instructor and/or the HUX office (310-243-3743) as appropriate. Be sure to communicate directly with the HUX Coordinator early in the process. Part of the Coordinator's job is to help resolve complaints. See Contact page for a full list of HUX contacts, and the Faculty page for faculty contact info.

Student Rights and Responsibilities overview

Grade Appeals Procedures

Student Grievance Procedure

Petition for Exception. Students may petition for exception to certain University academic regulations only when unusual or extenuating circumstances exist.Request a Petition form from the HUX office, and return the completed form to HUX for submission to the university-wide committee that considers such appeals.

What is the G.W.E.?
All students entering the HUX M.A. program are required to take the CSUDH Graduate Writing Examination (GWE) within their first year of residency in the program (before they complete 9 units). The GWE is the California State University system-wide required English proficiency exam. This is a proctored, one hour (two hours if English is not the student's first language) essay examination. A score of 8 or better is required, and two attempts are allowed. Students who fail twice to receive a score of 8 or better should contact the testing office (310-243-3909) for approval to take a substitute course equivalent to English 350. The GWE examination is graded by CSUDH faculty and official results will be mailed to the student.

The GWE if offered for all three trimesters (Spring, Summer, Fall). You should receive GWE information from the HUX Office if you are required to take it. Please contact the office if you do not receive any GWE information during your first trimester in the Program. Proctor forms should be completed and returned to the HUX office ASAP! If the proctor is acceptable the exam will be mailed directly to him or her. The proctor will administer the exam and return it directly to the HUX office together with the Certificate of Examination form and the student-provided $35 GWE fee (the check should be in American funds and made out to CSUDH).
Requests for waiving the GWE, together with documentation, should be mailed directly to the address below. For more information about the GWE, including waivers and substitute courses, can be found at the CSUDH Testing Office website. Note that some of the information there applies only to on-campus students.
California State University, Dominguez Hills
HUX Office SAC 2-2123 ATT: GWE
1000 E. Victoria St.
Carson, CA 90747

Registering and Taking Courses

I have lots of questions about planning out my courses. Who should I contact?
Direct your questions to the
Humanities Master of Arts staff. A Sample Course Selection Guide has been provided for both Curriculum A and Curriculum B to allow students to see how a typical student might choose his or her courses. Used in conjunction with the current schedule of classes, you can easily set up a preliminary schedule that best suits your time schedule and needs. Once you have done so, have your schedule reviewed by the Office staff to make sure all is approved.

Can I start taking courses at any time? What classes should I take first?
The program runs on a trimester schedule. 13-week period (plus one finals week). Applications for admission are due in the Humanities Master of Arts office at least 2 months before the start of each term. See Admissions for dates.

Is it possible to take a course for a letter grade without applying for admission?
Sorry - you must apply to our program and be accepted before you can start taking classes. However, you may request a sample course guide with your packet, so that you can get an understanding of what our classes are like. View a
Sample Course Guide...

Can I complete all my courses in one year? How many classes can I take at one time?
While it is possible to complete all the course work required for the degree (a minimum of 24 units) within one calendar year, the Final Project process usually takes an additional two trimesters to complete. The first trimester is spent working with and obtaining approval from the student's committee, the second in obtaining approval from Graduate Studies and the Library. The average student (a working adult with a family and a full-time job) should expect to complete the program in about 2 1/2-3 years. There is no minimum or maximum number of classes a student must take, as long as continuous attendance is maintained. More about
Continuous Attendance...

What is the number of units required for full-time status in the program? Half-time status?
Full-time status in any graduate program is considered to be 8 units, part-time is 4 units.

Which courses are easiest? How many assignments are there?
There is no way to say which courses are "easiest" - all courses require a high standard in research/preparation and writing skills. The number of assignments vary for each course, but the average ranges from 4 to 7 assignments per course. (The rule of thumb is 8-10 pages per unit.) More about

Do I HAVE to have a computer or a VCR to take classes?
No - we don't currently have course materials that require either, although access to a computer is one of the fastest ways to contact the office, instructors, and other students, and it's a great research tool... plus, it's the quickest way to get your papers done! More about
Online Courses...

I understand that students can take HUX courses using the Internet. Are the online courses required? Do they require any special accounts? Do they cost extra?
No, online courses are NOT required, they're just a way of aiding your educational experience. Each instructor handles online courses differently, so contact the instructor listed for an online section for more details. Signing up for an online course does not incur any additional cost through us.
The Internet does give you access to a world of information, plus quick contact with professors and other students; and of course, instantaneous e-mail is easier than waiting for postal services (up to 3 weeks for overseas students!). More about Online Courses...

How are tests taken? How am I graded?
There is only one official exam, called the Advancement to Candidacy Exam, which is taken at any time between the completion of 16 units in the program, but before registering for the Final Project. Courses do not have mid-term or final exams in the traditional sense, because all course assignments are essay in form. More about
Advancement to Candidacy...

Can I get credit for life experience?
No - the only type of credit that can be given outside of units accumulated in the program is by eligible transfer units. More about
Transfer Units...

Are there special arrangements for military personnel who may be deployed (and late handing in an assignment)?
If you can document the time and length of your deployment, instructors will grant Incompletes for up to one year.

Who is my advisor? Who is my mentor? What's the difference?
The advisor is the Program Coordinator (see Contact Us).
When you take an Independent Study or Final Project, the instructor who guides you through your work is your mentor. Any questions you have regarding your overall program should be directed to the advisor; any questions you have regarding your specific study in an Independent Study or Final Project should be directed to the mentor.

Do I have to do a thesis in order to complete the program? May I take additional course work instead of a thesis or final project?
All students in the HUX Program must successfully complete either a thesis or a creative project to earn their degree. The primary objectives of the M.A. thesis requirement are to acquaint students with the tools and processes of scholarship and then to produce a lucid, organized presentation of this material. The creative project is an infrequently used option designed to produce a significant contribution in studio art, creative writing, or musical composition, and presumes the student has either a degree or a comprehensive background in his/her chosen area.

Paying for Courses

Do I pay my tuition all at once? Are there financial aid/work study grants available?
No! Tuition is paid at the time of registration. See the information on current Fees. Financial aid is available only in the form of a Federal Direct Loan (formerly called the Stafford Loan or GSL). Unfortunately, there are no installment/payment plans at this time. See the Registration and Financial Aid sections...
1. If a student drops a course/courses prior to the beginning of the first day of the term, 100% of the total fee will be refunded. Students may drop courses themselves online through MyCSUDH.
2. If a student drops a course/courses during the first three weeks of the term, 65% of the total fee will be refunded. Please email your request to the HUX Office at
3. After the first three weeks of the term have elapsed, no refund will be made and students will receive a grade of a “W”. An approved Add/Drop Form - Change of Program is required. Stop payments on checks are NOT an acceptable withdrawal from the course(s) and will result in a financial penalty.

Finishing the Program

Can I attend graduation?
Yes - commencement services are held near the end of May of every year in the Home Depot Center stadium on campus. See

Will the diploma or transcripts say "External Degree" on them?
No - the diploma reads: "Master of Arts in the Humanities" and makes no mention of "External Degree." Transcripts also do not mention "External Degree," but course abbreviations (HUX) are distinct from the on-campus Humanities program abbreviations (HUM).

Can I get a doctorate degree?
The California State University campus system does not offer degrees above the Master's level. But a graduate of the Humanities Master of Arts Degree will be eligible to attend a doctoral degree program through other institutions. Consult the doctoral program you wish to attend to find out if there are other specific admission requirements regarding the Master's degree. In addition, you can continue taking HUX courses even after you've earned our degree, in case the doctoral program you wish to enter requires more than 30 units.